Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tornado Watch...Really?!

CROSSING THE DIVIDE...FROM RACING IN DESERTS AROUND THE WORLD TO TAKING ON THE ITALIAN ALPS...

My alarm went off at 3:45 this morning.  I lay around for a few minutes and I gradually realized that it was pouring outside.  Was today's workout going to be a total washout?  It would all depend on whether this was just rain...or if it was a massive storm.  I don't mind going out in rain...but I avoid lightning at all costs.  I had a 3 hour run planned, so I would have to plan ahead.

I got up...had my coffee, and then checked out the weather forecast on the internet.  I usually check out a couple of sights to see if they are both saying the same thing.  This morning there was a weather alert...passing storms and a Tornado Watch!  High winds, driving rain, and the possibility of funnel clouds.  Great.  It looked like this storm would end soon, and then I would have two hours before the next storm came by.  This would mean I would just be out in the rain for an hour.  If there was serious lightning I could always dodge for cover under any of the nearby condos I pass along the way back.



I headed outside just before 7am.  It looked nice out!  It usually takes me about 25 minutes to jog to the beach.  The sun was rising above the ocean and not a funnel cloud to be seen!  I headed south down the beach.  What a beautiful day!  Running in the sand is a great workout, but I always have the mountains in my mind.  I keep thinking about the irony of training at sea level for a race in the alps.  Crazy.


Speaking of crazy.  I pass through a nude beach on my way down south.  At this time of day there were only a few people out.  I try to keep my eyes glued to the ground in front of me...but you know how that goes.  I saw a guy walking straight toward me and he had a sweatshirt on over a T shirt to keep warm in the early morning hours.  But he wasn't wearing any pants...go figure that one out!  I don't understand the attraction of nude sunbathing...but each to their own I guess.



The only obstacle along this route is that I have to go over a "hill" to cross the inlet.  This cat seemed to like being on camera!




I continued on down a tree-lined path.  So far I had passed Sunny Isles beach, Haulover Beach and was heading toward Bal Harbor.  Who knew there were so many separate beaches...and all of them with names.  Before I moved here I was familiar with Fort Lauderdale Beach and that was about it.  But there are hundreds and hundreds of named beaches.  I have run along many of them.



After an hour-and-a-half it was time to turn around and head back North.  Again, what a beautiful sight...and no storm seemed at hand.  They were supposed to be rolling in from the West but I didn't see anything coming. 


I am trying out a new watch for my upcoming race.  The Tor des Geants (www.tordesgeants.it) requires you to have an altimeter on you.  I have always worn a Timex Ironman watch...so it seemed like a no-brainer to buy the Timex with the altimeter.  I really like this watch.  It is simple to use, easy to read, seems to be pretty accurate...and was fairly cheap!



I crossed over the last bridge before home and decided that I really had to try out this new sports bar that has opened up on the water.  What a great place to hang out!  The only problem is finding the time...maybe in late September?  No, I had to get out before that...come on...a person has to have some kind of life apart from training!



My poor nose ran the entire time....it is really annoying.  I can't just blow it because it is still so sore and I have stitches.  So I have to very gently wipe it with my sleeve.  It is a little niggly problem that begins to grow on you...and you have to call into play your mental toughness to just ignore the constant drip, drip, drip. And I still can't breathe through it.  The smallest things can begin to drive you nutty when you are running.  But it is always good to be tested I guess.

But...when you live in Miami...how can anything bother one for long...Life is a beach here!

No comments: