Friday, March 23, 2012

My Support Network

CROSSING THE DIVIDE...FROM RACING IN DESERTS AROUND THE WORLD TO TAKING ON THE ITALIAN ALPS...


I am really lucky.  I am preparing for this new challenge with the help of some amazing people.  First and foremost is my coach, Cal Zaryski  http://www.criticalspeed.com/ .  Cal is one of the best endurance coaches in North America.  I have worked with him since since 2000.  He has been with me through the highs and the lows...commiserating with me when I am at the back of the back...and celebrating with me when I am on the podium!  Cal is putting together a training program for me which will prepare me for this 200 mile race.

As I mentioned before, it is going to be a real challenge to train for a high altitude race while I am living at sea level in Florida.  Throughout the winter I have been keeping fit by cycling and doing some long training runs.  I have been jumping into some marathons a couple of times a month just to shake the legs out and put in some time.  But now I am beginning to go hard.  I have started stair training and hill training. This weekend I am putting in some more hill training...I'll tell you about that later.

I have also hooked up with two amazing women who have been more than generous with their expertise.  I contacted Leslie Gerein (Banff Trail Trash Blog)  who has already competed in the Tor des Geants.  She has been wonderful in providing me with valuable information about the race and putting me in touch with other people who have also been generous in sharing their knowledge.

Nicki Rehn is another fantastic athlete who has competed in the Tor des Geants twice! (Nicki Rehn Blog) She is hooked on this race and is going back again this year.  She has been so great in providing details from big to small that have already set me on the right path to getting a mindset for this event.  There is so much to learn...gear, training, course knowledge, CP info, race structure... it goes on and on.  Both ladies are great ambassadors for the sport!

Leslie and Nicki both live in my old stomping grounds...Alberta, Canada.  Leslie is in the heart of the Rocky Mountains in Banff and Nicki lives in Calgary.  They spend weekends enjoying the beauty of our National Park.  It is spectacular there!  The perfect playground to prepare for the Tor des Geants.

This weekend I am headed to Clermont, Florida.  This is a major training destination for hardcore athletes here in Florida.  It is our only really hilly area in the state and many Ironman triathletes and Tour cyclists come here to work out.  It is about a 5 hour drive from where I live in North Miami.  I will post when I come back so you can see this part of the state I live in and where I put in my training time.  Have a wonderful weekend all!

No comments: