Monday, July 30, 2012

By The Numbers - TDG is The Toughest Mountain Ultra on the Planet


CROSSING THE DIVIDE...FROM RACING IN DESERTS AROUND THE WORLD TO TAKING ON THE ITALIAN ALPS...


I was supposed to go to this race as a supporter.  I still don't know how I ended up being registered.  I guess it was the idea that this was a new challenge...a chance to test myself in an environment that was unfamiliar to me as an athlete. 

I am glad that I took on this challenge.  It has been a very steep learning curve so far...but I think it will ultimately make me a better runner.  I have become stronger and have enjoyed some new training drills.  I am anxious to see how this will improve my performance in desert racing.

Everyone who has done this race has told me that it is tough...really tough.  I decided to take a look at the numbers and see how this race compared to other mountain ultramarathons.  Numbers don't lie.  And the numbers show that this race is...BY FAR...

THE TOUGHEST MOUNTAIN ULTRA IN THE WORLD!


TOR DES GEANTS....Courmayeur, Italy

Distance...200 miles/330 km
Elevation Gain...24,000 meters
Time...One stage, 150 hours

****************************************************************************

ULTRA- TRAIL du MONT- BLANC...Switzerland, France, Italy

Distance...104 miles/168 km
Elevation Gain...9,600 meters
Time...46 hours

TRANSALPINE- RUN...Germany, Italy, Austria

Distance...198 miles/320 km
Elevation Gain...15,000 meters
Time...8 Day Stage Race

TRANSROCKIES RUN...Colorado, United States

Distance...120 miles/193 km
Elevation Gain...6,000 meters
Time...6 Day Stage Race

HARDROCK 100...Colorado, United States

Distance...100 miles/160 km
Elevation Gain...10,360 meters
Time...48 hours

BARKLEY MARATHONS...Tennessee, United States

Distance...100 miles/160 km
Elevation Gain...18,000 meters
Time...60 hours

LA PETITE TROTTE A LEON...Switzerland, France, Italy

Distance...180 miles/290 km
Elevation Gain...22,000 meters elevation gain
Time...138 hours

DEFI DE L'OISANS...France

Distance...124 miles/200 km
Elevation Gain...12,000 meters
Time...8 Day Stage Race

CANADIAN DEATH RACE...Alberta, Canada

Distance...77 miles/125 km
Elevation Gain...5,181 meters
Time...24 hours

No comments: